I grew up in Margate, NJ, a small shore town filled with Jews. I too am one of them. I knew at an early age I wanted to sing and write and so I did. I moved to Philadelphia to go to college, and grad school and was planning on being a teacher of Environmental Studies until I met a few folks who changed the course of my life and I turned to a life of Singer Songwriter-dom.
I worked away gigging and touring the East Coast for many years. I got some amazing opportunities including winning the 1998 Lilith Fair Talent Search, opening for some heroes including Richie Havens, Patty Griffin and Donovan. I worked several fab dayjobs, as a Pre-School teacher, as an Entertainment Publicist and at several prominent Philadelphia recording studios, which put me at the right place and the right time to meet fantastic and beautiful people including Astrud Gilberto (who's record I got to sing on!) and Daniel Lanois (who's "Shine" tour I got to sing on!) amoung a million other experiences.
I made several records with brilliant musicians and producers including Scot Sax and Shane Mc Martin. Some of those songs ended up on TV and in Film.
I played bass in the most excellent musical experience of my life, the all-girl band The Dirty Triplets.
Then in 2004 I moved to Ireland, in 2005 I married my best friend and in 2006 we had a beautiful baby girl. Life is good.
In 2008 I recorded a collection of lullabies with Singer-Songwriter, Fran King, and producer Duncan Maitland, and we put out this album under the project name SUNFLOW. Our song "I Wish You Love" has had several successes -- it was placed in a Toyota Prius ad, on the TV show Life UnXpected and more.
In 2010 my husband and I bought a home in Co Wicklow and we are kicking back and enjoying the show that is life with our kid, dogs, cat and piano, between the mountains and the sea.
In 2012 I recorded and released the single, "What I'm Doing Right." I teamed back up with multi-instrumentalist & producer Duncan Maitland and we created this lovely track for which the initial proceeds went to charity, because that's how I roll.
In the summer of 2018, I played in a weekly jam with some talented and beautiful people. I wrote the song "Accommodation Road" on the day of the last jam. The talented Oisín Murray played on, produced and recorded it with the Blue House Session band and it was released at the end of the year.
And that's the story, it ain't over yet! Thanks for stopping by, listening to the tunes and for some of you, hanging in there all these years!
- 2018 December - Released "Accommodation Road" produced by Oisín Murray - backed by the Blue House Session Band
- 2012 December - Released "What I'm Doing Right," Produced by Duncan Maitland in aid of Jack & Jill Children's Foundation
- 2010/11/12/13 Sunflow's "I Wish You Love" Toyota Prius add, TV shows Life UnXpected and Degrassi, NRDC promotional video, Banner 4th of July (Movie of the Week - Hallmark Channel).
- 2008, 2007 Sunflow on News Talk Radio - Weekend Blend
- 2008, 2005 Guest on On the Verge - 104.9FM - Ireland
- 2005 Guest on Pat Kenny Show - RTE RADIO 1 - Ireland
- 2005 Guest on NEWS TALK Radio - Arts Show - Ireland
- 2005 Guest on The Soup Music Radio - Anna Livia- Ireland
- 2006 Joins Fran King's band - Ireland
- 2006 Track - "Stay" appears on "On The Verge LIVE @ SIN É and DSFM" released by On the Verge - 104.9FM - Ireland
- 2004 4 songs from Clear View going to All My Children, soap opera!
- 2003 Joined Daniel Lanois on tour as a vocalist in his band comprised of Lanois, drummer Brian Blade and Falkow
- Singing appearance with Daniel Lanois on two songs, :The Maker" and "Falling at Your Feet" on Broadcast recording of Live from the World Café
- Lead Vocals on national TV and radio ad campaign for YouCanDealWithIt.com
- 2002 Won Philadelphia City Paper Music Awards BEST SINGER-SONGWRITER/FOLK PERFORMER
- 2003 - VH1 Born to Diva - Auditioned, called back, made it to the Philly episode!
- Song "It Could've Been Anyone" from Smitten made it to the soundtrack of movie called Emmett's Mark, starring Tim Roth and Gabriel Byrne
- 2001 MTV's late nite soap opera UNDRESSED used 2 songs "No Mexico" and "Child of Television" from Smitten
- 2001, 2000, 1999 - Nominated BEST FOLK PERFORMER at the Philadelphia City Paper Music Awards
- 2000 – Nominated BEST FEMALE VOCALIST at the Philadelphia City Paper Music Awards.
- Lilith Fair Talent Search Winner – Nancy performed her own set and was invited on the main stage with the Indigo Girls and then again with Sarah McLachlan, in front of a sold out show of 25,000 people at the Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
- Background Vocals on Astrud Gilberto’s release Jungle - 2 songs
- Background vocal on G Love & Special Sauce's, Electric Mile (Epic), song "Shy Girl"
- February 2001 Nancy sings with LaBelle Band background singers on two Shirley Caesar/Patti LaBelle duets for Warner Brothers release
- Halloween 2000, Nancy performed with moe. at the legendary Tower Theater, on a spectacular performance of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, she was the female soloist ("Great Gig in the Sky") and background vocals for the entire performance
- Smitten was named one of the top 50 albums of 2001 for Thursday Breakfast Jam Best of 2001 at KRCL in Utah
- 2000 Performer on Oprah Winfrey's Oxygen Tank Tour
- 2000 First unsigned artist spotlight at www.stevemadden.com
- 2000 Co-founder of Folk n' Sole Tour presented by Steve Madden Shoes
- "Suffragette Sessions" featuring the Indigo Girls
- Featured Performer - solo/acoustic, as well as performance with the ensemble at The Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA
Indigo Girls, Patty Griffin, Steve Forbert, Richie Havens, Donovan, Lilith Fair - Sarah McLachlan & more, Ron Sexsmith, Dan Bern, Bill Morrissey, John Prine, Los Lobos, Al Stewart, Martin Sexton, Gillian Welch, Hammell on Trial, '76ers National Anthem, Jeffrey Gaines, Garrison Starr, Freedy Johnston, Wanderlust, The Bobs, Wild Colonials, The Commitments, Peter Himmelman, Grey Eye Glances, Dayna Kurtz, Emm Gryner, Kacy Crowley, Linda Perry, Jen Trynin, Barbara Kessler, Slo-Mo, Garnet Rogers, Susan Werner, November Project, Mary Fahl, Tom Prasado Rao, Richard Julian, October Project, Matthew Ryan, Jess Klein, Jeff Lang, Mark Erelli, Deirdre Flint, and John Gorka.
Singles by Nancy
- "What I'm Doing Right" 2012 - Produced, Recorded & All Instrumentation by Duncan Maitland
Albums by Nancy
- Under the Stars -w/ the band Sunflow Produced by Duncan Maitland 2008
- Clear View – Produced by Falkow and McMartin 2004
- Smitten – Produced by Shane McMartin 2000
- Nancy Falkow ~ 5 song E.P. – Produced by Scot Sax 1997
Songs on Other Compilations and Recordings
- "1921" – Facedown Records tribute to The Who - Who’s Forgotten
- "My Head is Only in My House When it Rains" – Genus Records tribute to Captain Beefheart- Mama Kangaroos
- "Victrola" – One minute version -- Minutes to the Millenium
- Aisling Being – San Francisco-based Psy-trance duo – featured vocal and co-write -- 3 songs
- Wood - Songs from Stamford Hill (Columbia) -- back ground vocals on 8 tracks
- G Love & Special Sauce - Electric Mile (Epic/Okeh!) -- background vocal on "Shy Girl"
- Astrud Gilberto - Jungle – back ground vocals on 2 songs
- Daniel Lanios – Live from the World Café appearance March 2003 – 2 songs
- Shirley Caesar/Patti LaBelle duet for Warner Brothers release – back ground vocals on "You are My Friend" and 'Who's on the Lord's Side?"
- Marah - 20,000 Streets Under the Sky (Yep Roc Records ) -- background vocal on "Going Thru The Motions"
- John Train - vocal on "Did You Come By Your Bitterness Honestly?" from Looks Like Up(Record Cellar)
- John Train - Sugar Ditch (Record Cellar) -- "Shame On You" "How Am I Ever Gonna Get Home?" "Randy Come Home" "Are You Like Me?"
- Pornosonic (Jay Bird Records) -- 1999 release lead vocal on track 10
- Todd Young - bg vox on 1 track - Silent Chair 2004
- 2005 Slo-Mo - My Buzz Comes Back (PHIdelity) -- featured or lead vocals on 5 tracks
- 2007 Slo-Mo - Smokey Mountain (PHIdelity) - bg vox on 2 tracks
- 2009 Fran King - My Sweet Elixer (Rennaisence Records) bg vox 1 track
- 2010 Duncan Maitland - Lullabies of the 21st Century (Indigo-Octagon) - bg vox "Horror Stories" & "Lucky You"
- Arts Show - News Talk Radio (Dublin, Ireland)
- Morning Blend - 2 appearances - News Talk Radio (Dublin, Ireland)
- The Soup Music - Anna Livia Radio (Dublin, Ireland)
- 88.5FM WXPN Live Guest: Morning Show Women's Music Hour with Michaela Majoun Live Guest: Gene Shay Folk Show and many other live appearances
- CMR for Europe -- Bob Paterson’s Singer Songwriter show (London, England)
- Radioboston.com – live guest on the Zcid Experience
- Nashville, TN -- Appearance on Billy Block's Western Roots Revival Radio Show (w/ backing band Joe, Marc's Brother)
- Airplay - (partial list)100.3FM, WPHL, WXPN, WSGR, 91.3FM, Port Huron, MI, 91.1 FM, WMUA, Amherst, MA, Womenonair.com, Eyeqradio.com, Angel Lace Radio, The River 97.3, Harrisburg, PA, 91.7 FM, WHUS, Storrs, Connecticut, Amazon Women's Hour on WXPN, 91.5 FM Sacramento, WIUV 91.3FM Poultney, VT, 88.7FM WXJM, Harrisonburg, Virginia, Divas and Dames, WKDU, WPKN…
- ABC 6 - Philly After Midnite - Feature Piece with Live Performance
- NBC 10 – News - Prime Time Special Report Feature Piece
- FOX 29 - Good Day Philadelphia - Live Musical Performance and Interview
- WPHL 17- News Special Report Interview and Musical Performance
- UPN 57 - Studio 57 - Musical Performance March 1999 and July 1999
Performed Vocals W/ (live & studio)
- Daniel Lanois
- Astrud Gilberto - upcoming release
- Patti LaBelle/Shirley Caesar - (Myrrh Records)
- G Love & Special Sauce (Epic/Okeh!)
- Wood - (Columbia) (James Maddock)
- Marah (Yep Roc) Pornosonic (J Bird Records)
- John Train - Looks Like Up (Record Cellar), Sugar Ditch(Record Cellar)
- moe.- Live performance of Dark Side of the moon at legendary Tower Theater 2000!
- Scot Sax
- Joseph Parsons
- Amber deLaurentis
- Deirdre Flint
- Christine Havrilla
- Colleen Mc Farland
- Fran King
- Duncan Maitland
- JB Schwacter
- Shane McMartin - Producer
- Michael Musmanno - Producer
- Mike Klein (RIP) - Producer
- Michael Aharon - Producer, Maja Audio Group
- Budd Ellison (RIP) - Producer/Music Director for Patti LaBelle
- Dave "Stiff" Johnson - Producer
- Chris DeBenneditto - Producer
- Carvin Hagins - Producer/ A Touch of Jazz Studios Philadelphia PA
- Mike Brenner - Producer
- The Underhills
- Deb Callahan
- Troublesome Blue
- Moment of Release
- Dain Merganthaler
- Casual Gypsies
- Live Performances
- Session Work
- Harmony Arrangement/Production